POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Contemplation, (more) final : Re: Contemplation, (more) final Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Contemplation, (more) final
From: Veijo Vilva
Date: 22 Aug 2004 13:42:40
Message: <4128db10@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I must admit that I preferred the previous stone wall. This one is too
> dominant and contrasting. Shouldn't it 'blend' somewhat more with the
> overall texture of the surrounding walls? I am afraid that part of the
> 'contemplation' is diverted to the bricks now... Perhaps a very small color
> difference (in light tints) between the bricks and the mortar...

Thanks for your comments. The previous wall was rather good on screen,
but as a largish print it was disappointing, a mishmash. The present
wall is quite prominent, even dominating, and I myself am not quite sure
about my feelings concerning it. I have some ideas, but they'll have to
wait. OTOH, I've seen rather similar walls and contrasts in some
medieval Finnish churches, see e.g.

   http://www.animal.helsinki.fi/people/vilva/aboa/1143.jpg

where the wall is slightly more irregular and the illumination is
different. If you look at the lower right corner of the brick wall
which is in the shadows, it is quite similar to my wall. Looking at my
picture, one might also say that the heavy brick wall above the rather
flimsy wall below it gives some extra weight to the statement made by
the Wayfarer painting.

> I just realized that there is an invisible plainting refleted in the
> leftmost window. It looks familiar, but I cannot put a name on it...

It isn't a painting but a group of four identical heads distorted by the
window pane. The heads are the result of two evenings spent getting
acquinted with Wings3D, see

   http://galeria.galactinus.org/vilva/sculpting.html

There is a certain resemblance to "The Scream" by Munch or to some of
Los Caprichos by Goya.

> The castle window looks really good!

Thanks :) The bars are a little bit too regular, but I'll do something
about them if I decide to redo the brick wall.

   Veijo